Wednesday, April 23, 2014

ACE in the Hole

Over the weekend, Kerry and I helped a man from TJ load my queen sized loft bed into his truck (scroll down for accompanying blog post). Our next door neighbor (not in our apartment complex, but one of the adjacent homes) approached us to find out what all the commotion was about. Once she was caught up on the bed, and between short Spanish phrases to our new friend, we chatted about what was happening in her life. She mentioned several trips she was preparing for, including one to Texas for a high school reunion (OGHS '98 grads, we'd better be in touch 40+ years from now!). She plans to stay in Texas for a month and then--here's the kicker--head back for a trip organized by ACE. She mentioned ACE as if everyone was clearly familiar with the organization. Of course, I was clueless.

"What's ACE?" I asked hesitantly. 

"Ohhhhh!" Her eyes lit up, and a broad smile spread across her face. "American Coaster Enthusiasts! I've been a member for years and years. They plan trips to see rollercoasters. And I get this newsletter and magazines . . . . I'm also a member of the European club, although I haven't been on their trips yet, but I will some day." 

Cool organization, in my opinion, for anyone to join. What I haven't told you yet, however, is her age. She told me once, but I honestly don't remember. I know she qualifies for the senior discount (it came up). 

Admittedly, I just stood there smiling in mild shock, allowing it to sink in that this woman-- who regularly wears crazy bright colors, a visor with a rainbow stripe, mardi gras beads, buttons, T-shirts purchased over the decades as momentos of her adventures, and I think is in her 70s--was an active member of a roller coaster club. It's not that I thought she couldn't be, and trust me, I believed her. I suppose I just didn't expect it.

Finally, I managed to exclaim, "Get outta town! That's SO COOL! My friends and I were just checking out the new coaster in Ohio that moves in a circle as it makes its way along the track . . ." 

She enthusiastically (no pun intended . . . American Coaster Enthusiasts) broke in. "Ohhhh, yeah, yeah! Pipe Scream, I think . . . I was reading about it in my Coaster Magazine." Now, who would have thought that this woman would be so on top of the latest coasters? 


  

When I'm able to stumble upon a topic that clearly causes passion and excitement--particularly if we're just getting acquainted--I try to keep talking about it, which of course is easier when the topic also happens to be something that I love, like roller coasters. "So," I inquired, raising one eyebrow, "which do you prefer: the newer, faster, crazier coasters or the traditional rickety wood coasters?" I never did get an answer. After pointing out the pluses and minuses of each, I think it's safe to say she's on the fence. Plus, you can't play favorites. Gotta try it all, right? ;-)

As with each and every day, there are many lessons in this story. None of them are new necessarily. You don't really know someone until you take the time to really talk with them. Life doesn't have to end as you age. Even if you live alone (and she may fully prefer it that way), you're never truly alone, and there may be friendly souls in places you least expect. I wonder . . . is she thinking something similar about me? I may be young--though not as young as I once was, funny how that works--but I find joy and connection in all ages and diverse people. 

I have my dad to thank for that, at least in part. I was raised belonging to a religious organization (that I am no longer a part of, but many things about it helped to create the woman I am today) in which the children, their parents, their grandparents, the elderly, and the infants, all congregated in one place, at all times. I visited my "Grandma Bennie," who wasn't even related to me, until she passed away. To this day, my dad's best friend, John Herman, is old enough to be his father. I consider John a good friend, as well, though I don't see him as much as I would like. In fact, I just remembered as well a project I had in elementary school where I had to interview an older family member and write a report about what we talked about. I interviewed my great grandma, my "Nanny." She was traveling around the world until the day she died. We played Scrabble together, and I'm convinced that she had a hand in at the very least encouraging my competitive edge.

Naida, the neighbor who belongs to ACE, if you're reading this blog (and I hope you were able to find it), I want to say thank you. Thank you for talking to Kerry and I, for sharing your stories of your adventures and your travels, and for telling us about a time we don't remember. I know we have plenty of time left to catch up and exchange stories (maybe I can even have you over to watch a movie on Netflix or watch coaster videos on YouTube). We live in a world world dangerously close to being overthrown by technology, where we convince ourselves that we are "too busy" to stop and say hello (it's an illusion, by the way, the whole notion of "busy"), or sometimes we are afraid that people won't care to chat. Just do it. Say hello. Chat. You only live once, and by darn, Naida and I will be enjoying the ride from the front row!





No comments:

Post a Comment