Saturday, October 26, 2013

Hope Xchange Steering Committee Introductions (Extended)

*tap tap tap* is this thing on? This exercise deserves more than a few sentences, but in the interest of space constraints and respecting your time, I will try to be brief. I am Kerry's partner. Before Kerry, I'm not sure how familiar I was with Bipolar Disorder, although I am quite familiar with several other struggles. . . . I get lost in thought every few words, to be honest with you.

Loving someone is risky and scary enough when both people are healthy. All relationships are a blend of "perfectly imperfect" people. However, a relationship involving bipolar disorder will reflect the ups and downs of a "normal" (whatever that means) relationship in hypercolor--a result of the mania and depression experienced during cycles. Support, understanding, and a network of safe sounding boards, a listening ear, and a kind smile can make a WORLD of difference, particularly when everything seems to blur . . . when once again "normal" has taken on a new meaning and not everyone in your usual circles "gets" that... Doesn't mean they don't care and I guarantee that they DO love you--they just don't get it.

I don't claim to be an expert. I know others have been here before me, for longer periods of time, and it's not about who did better... It's not a competition. Life is a journey, and we are ALL in it together. "Community" is a word that is very precious to me, for reasons I'm sure will be revealed at some point. Kerry seemed surprised by my desire to be involved in Hope Xchange, to which I responded, "I don't want to be 'involved'; I AM Hope Xchange. I'm LIVING it." I'm living it. Every day. Key word--LIVING. So what does this mean for Hope Xchange?

I'm a writer. I always have been. I don't write nearly enough currently. Secularly, I'm connected in ways I sometimes take for granted. At my core, I love deeply. In a world with "causes" everywhere you turn, it's hard to determine where to shine your light... Except like in this case, when it means survival for the woman you love, countless others, and even yourself, and when embracing vulnerability and allowing the passion to overflow from the intimate moments to something bigger is, well, the only answer.

I hope to play the largest role in the BF2BF arena, but also wherever I'm needed of course.

Honestly, I only wish there was more time in the day...

www.hopexchangeconsultancy.org

No comments:

Post a Comment