Monday, January 20, 2014

Basking in the Glow


Dad and I were walking back to my apartment after a wonderful Sunday brunch yesterday when Dad interrupted me mid-sentence, stopping me with a whispered, "Shhhh… Wait… What's that?" 

I swear, my dad is part canine. He tilted his head to one side, narrowed his eyes, raised his nose up to the sky for a couple of good sniffs, then glanced over at me expectedly . . . When I recognized the noise as well, his eyes lit up, excited that I was sharing in his discovery. A cat's sweet meow… but where was it coming from? 

"Ah-ha!" he declared, and pointed up. And there was Itchy, the neighbor's cat, named after his
multitude of allergies and medications, high in the tree. He must have seen us walk by beneath him and paused his bear-like branch scratching to temporarily relieve his chronically irritated skin. It's as if he was calling to us, "Guys, guys, hey come say hi! Look at me, I'm in the tree! It's sooooo great!"

My dad, of course, went into firefighter mode, telling Itchy, "Don't worry, kitty! You must have known I am a retired fire captain and can rescue you from that tree!" I laughed. "Dad, step down. That's just Itchy, probably the friendliest cat I've ever met. He doesn't need saving! He loves trees, but he loves people and love and conversation even more." 

Itchy stayed in the tree for a bit, chattering away and posing for my iPhone camera as he made his way down the jungle gym of limbs before expertly scurrying down the tree trunk. In a flash, he was purring away at my feet. My dad continued home to put the leftovers away, and I stayed behind to bask in the warm rays of the sun with Itchy.  


My dad returned shortly, and I reluctantly got up from my happy place on the sidewalk with my feline friend. As I walked my dad back to his car, I turned to see Itchy watching me fondly, reveling in the afterglow of my attention. I smiled, grateful for my dad's keen hearing and appreciative for a life that affords me the comfort to pause, listen, and pet.  


1 comment:

  1. Wonderful story! Well told and nicely illustrated with beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete