Monday, January 20, 2014

Such a Wise Bear: Brief Thoughts on Winnie the Pooh


What a wonderful collection of Winnie the Pooh quotes to start my Monday, posted by Huffington Post. I've loved Winnie the Pooh since childhood, and it's a love I will never outgrow... 

Through the characters of "Winnie the Pooh" and his many adventures, Milne shared with us the gift of a creating an accessible dialogue about both common motifs in literature and also the seemingly small idiosyncrasies that--when not addressed with compassion--cause heartache, despair, and debilitating negative self-talk. I most appreciate the art and skill with which A.A. Milne wrote about difficult subjects--death, separation, love, loneliness, rejection, fear, friendship, grief, depression, anxiety, growing up and aging, and even the common belief that creative people are scattered. Most of these subjects are common motifs in literature. 

I loved Pooh as a child through several mediums--books (of course), Disney cartoons, and even a ritual that I continued into my teens of watching the "live" version on the Disney channel where actual people dressed as the characters. Of course, we can't forget the stuffed animals. I sewed my own with felt and embroidery thread using patterns found in a book on the second floor of the Escondido Public Library (the Children's Library, one of my most favorite places as a child). I'd like to get a copy of that book for my home library... Maturity, age, and experience have only added more layers to the depths and complexities of this simple bear, his friends, and their adventures. Don't worry, Pooh Bear, I will never forget you... and you will forever be in my heart.

I invite you to revisit your childhood with me and get reacquainted with my favorite bear, Winnie the Pooh, by visiting http://huff.to/1igPpM1

Here are two of my favorite "Winnie the Pooh" quotes from the Huff Post article that speak to me as the person I am today:

“One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries.” 

“Some people care too much. I think it's called love.”





No comments:

Post a Comment